Please let me start off by saying this is merely a
friendly good natured and spirited comparison between our own Mr. Ilya Kovalchuk and his obvious or in this case...not so obvious peers within the NHL. The specific area of this comparative effort are the total games played to date by Ilya : (23) and his point total thereafter (10) : 4 goals/6 assists. So these figures will set the standard for the comparison and the results (players with identical stats through 23 games or more) will represent Ilya's statistical peers.
Matt D'Agostini (St. Louis Blues) 24 games played 10 points (6 goals/4 assists) Bio: A 23 year old Canadian third line checking type player with no more than 12 goals ever scored per season in his NHL career.
- Radek Dvorak (Florida Panthers) 23 games played 10 points (5 goals/5 assists) Bio: A 33 year old Czech right wing who has some scoring touch that has not been seen since his 67 point year in 2000-2001 with the Rangers.
- Jason Blake (Anaheim Ducks) 26 games played 10 points (5 goals/5 assists) Bio: A 37 year old U.S. born veteran who has seen his best years gone by but still offers experience on and off the ice.
- Tyler Kennedy (Pittsburgh Penguins) 25 games played 10 points (4 goals/6 assists) Bio: A 24 year old Canadian solid centermen with a good two way game.
- Zdeno Chara (Boston Bruins) 23 games played 10 points (4 goals/6 assists) Bio: A 33 year old Slovak monster (in size and game) defensemen year in and out.
- Dainius Zubrus (New Jersey Devils) 24 games played 10 points (3 goals/7assists) Bio: A 32 year old Lithuanian brute of a man with a surprising soft scoring touch.
- Sean Bergenheim (Tampa Bay Lightning) 25 games played (4 goals/6 assists) Bio: A 26 year old Finnish wing with modest yet steady offensive numbers.
- Andy Greene (New Jersey Devils) 24 games played (2 goals/8 assists) Bio:A 28 year old U.S. born somewhat offensive defensemen.
- Jason Chimera (Washington Capitals) 26 games played (4 goals/6 assists) Bio: A 31 year old Canadian wing who had a personal best 36 point NHL season with Columbus in 2006-2007.
- Sean Avery (New York Rangers) 26 games (1 goal/9 assists) Bio: A 30 year old Canadian wing who holds the title of: "only NHL player to pose for his league headshot photo wearing blue tinted glasses."
Well there it is...10 players with 10 points...all with at least 23 games played this season. I will leave the contrast aspect of this comparison to you the ILWT readers. Any major surprises? Does Ilya Kovalchuk belong in this group of players? Why or why not? Does the fact Sean Avery is on this list make you seasick?