Anyway, today will be a busy day in the NHL as it's the season's trade deadline. Please use this post for all your thoughts and comments about today's trade activity throughout the league. Laugh at bad deals, worry about deals that make intra-division opponents stronger, and scratch your head over what future consideration could possibly mean. I'd like to thank user elesias for giving me the idea; but I can't update FanShots to be pushed up the page so this should suffice.
If there are any Devils-related trades, Steve will have something up during the day or I'll have a post on it in the evening. Remember that the Devils already made one big trade, acquiring Ilya Kovalchuk and Anssi Salmela from Atlanta for Niclas Bergfors, Johnny Oduya, prospect Patrice Cormier, and a first round pick (second rounders were also swapped). I doubt they'll make a second massive trade, despite how bad the team looked before the Olympic break.
Last week, given Paul Martin's injury, most of the readers polled felt the Devils should go out and get a defenseman. I agree If there's a deal done, I would want it to be for a defenseman; but with Lou Lamoriello, you can never tell what he'll do. Normally, he makes a trade at the deadline but it's usually not a huge deal; like the Anssi Salmela for Niclas Havelid swap last season or Cam Janssen for Bryce Salvador. Given the blockbuster trade from February, I personally doubt he'll do much more than that if anything at all. Paul Martin may be all that this team needs, really.
Here are some resources that I recommend for trade deadline day:
NHL.com has a constantly updated section for all trade and trade-related news. They also have "Tweetmixx," which compiles what's being reported directly from Twitter from a number of NHL insiders like Elliotte Friedman, Paul Kukla, and Darren Dreger. It's a good feature, one location where you can get the breaking news - which a feature of Twitter.
- TSN.ca, as usual, has their Trade Centre up and running. Already it's absolutely loaded with content.
- CapGeek is an excellent salary cap resource; vital for any trade analysis.
- Former SBN-Hockey manager Brandon Worley and James O'Brien are updating ProHockeyTalk (NBCSports' hockey blog) like mad with all the reports going out there.
- Puck Daddy will have a chatter box for all trade deadline coverage. Not a live blog, but an updated CoverItLive. Day 1 is an example of Tuesday's action, including links to other sites with coverage.
- Of course, SBNation has an entire hub to all posts on our network for trade news and analysis from our various team blogs. Perfect if you want an opinion on a trade for the Oilers from the perspective of an Oilers fan, like this one. You can access it through this link or the big button at the very bottom of this post to access it.
Again, please leave all your thoughts and feelings about today's trade deadline action in the comments. All rules apply as usual; please link to all reports out there (link to the Tweet, news story, etc.) and don't make things up in the comments. Especially on a day like today.