FanPost

Is Anyone Else More Stressed than Excited?

It's almost July 1st!  And yet we have to wait another 12 hrs for free agency to even begin and probably another few hours after that to hear any news.

I'm sitting here at home with a pile of work to do and all that's going through my head are pessimistic thoughts.

I peg the Devils' chances of getting Paul Martin back at $5.5 mil or below at 5%.  Their chances of getting him back at more than 5.5 (my cutoff for overpaying) maybe 15%.  The probability he goes somewhere else?  A not-too-optimistic 80%.

I actually like the Devils' chances of signing Kovalchuk much better than their chances of signing Martin, mostly because there are a limited number of teams that have both the cap space and potential to win.  I give the Devils a 30% shot, and the chances that his cap hit provides good value (I would say he provides good value up to and including 8.0 million) about 75%.

The odds that the Devils aren't able to sign either one, and are left reflexively overpaying for the scraps?  Too high for my liking.  Wayyy too high.

Am I going crazy?

All FanPosts and FanShots are the respective work of the author and not representative of the writers or other users of In Lou We Trust.

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join In Lou We Trust

You must be a member of In Lou We Trust to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at In Lou We Trust. You should read them.

Join In Lou We Trust

You must be a member of In Lou We Trust to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at In Lou We Trust. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9355_tracker